On Friday, my parents arrived in Rome. We spent the morning getting ready for their arrival. I went to the grocery store (alone, maybe?) and picked up some essentials to prepare lunch for them. Jeff figured out, thanks to Google translator, how to tell the building's doorman that his wife's parents would be arriving and could he please show them upstairs. This man, who spoke no English, understood Jeff's Italian perfectly! (Oh and to think if he had not -- where my poor parents may have been led off to!) I happily chopped tomatoes, cheese, and other delicacies and laid them out on big white plates for us all to share. My parents arrived right on time and we sat down for a welcome lunch together, complete with proseco. After lunch, we took them to (where else?) San Crispino for gelato. My mom and I got the fig flavor and it was divine. Like a fresh fig plucked right from an Italian fig tree...yet somehow still distinctly gelato-ey tasting as well. De-licious.
After that, my mom took a nap (or a rest anyway) at our apartment while my dad went to check into their hotel. I managed to get out for a little while on my own and I truly savored my walk around our neighborhood, getting to stop into shops and buy a few things unaccompanied by my littlest traveling companions. Later that afternoon (after a quick stop at my parents' hotel, during which Lucy decided the bidet was a "hand washer"), we all walked up to the Villa Borghese -- Rome's version of Central Park or Boston Common. It had actually been described to me as more Boston Common than Public Garden -- a very apt description and one that will make sense to my fellow Bostonians! It was actually our second visit there -- we had visited previously that week and were pleased to find a playground for Lucy (one of Rome's few) as well as an indoor playspace where she enjoyed bouncing around for a while. They even had a children's bookshop where I bought a beautifully illustrated book that I want to take apart and frame parts of for our new house. Not sure what I'll do with it exactly. Anyway, on this trip to the Borghese we sat down and had a light early dinner and even met an Italian family with a girl almost Lucy's age as well as a baby boy a bit younger than Phoebe. It was adorable to see Lucy play with her new Italian friend Ludovica and to talk to the mother, Bina. They live in Rome near the Borghese and operate a B&B.
{using the "hand washer"}
{off like a shot at the villa borghese}
{playing with nonno at a fountain in the Borghese}
This reminds me of my observations about children in Rome. I really found it to be true what I had heard about Italy's declining population -- there are so few babies there. It is just not like your typical American city that teems with babies. I saw very few babies, and even fewer babies in carriers -- most were either in strollers or being carried. So I was a bit of a curiosity, walking around with my cherubic blond Phoebe firmly attached to my body in the Ergo carrier 24/7! This is not to say that Romans don't like babies -- they love them. They practically dipped Phoebe in chocolate and ate her for breakfast they loved her so much. Men, women, young, old...even the gruffest looking of men would fawn all over her. Maybe it has something to do with her big blue eyes or maybe it's the dimple in her left cheek when she flashes her ample smile...but really I think it's just that Italians love children. Heck, they seem to love everyone...which is why Italy is like heaven on earth. But I digress.


2 comments:
Okay, so now I'm all caught up on your posts about this fabulous adventure in Rome! I think you are brave and wise to try a trip like this with such young children. You just never know how much time you'll have to see the places you want to see. Might as well do it as soon as you can!
I love renting homes and apartments for vacation accommodations. We've done that several times. Home swapping is another thing we've tried in France when I went there with my sister's family. I like feeling like I'm living there instead of just doing the typical tourist thing and staying in a hotel - although I do like me a nice hotel, too.
Can't wait to read more and see more photos!
how wonderful! I didn't know your parents were joining you- that is great. and of course the italians would LOVE lucy- she is precious!
Post a Comment